Microsoft rolls out new Windows 11 Insider Preview update KB5021866 to the Beta Channel, with build 22621.1028 and build 22623.1028.
Build 22623.1028 is for Insiders who have new features rolling out. And build 22621.1028 is for those who have new features off by default. According to the change log, the KB5021866 Update focuses on introducing fixes to the Taskbar, Settings, Task Manager, Search, and more.
Fixes in Build 22623.1028
- Made another fix to address explorer.exe crashing repeatedly in safe mode.
Taskbar & System Tray
- Fixed an issue where, with the system tray design updates, auto-hiding the taskbar would stop working after you had interacted with the hidden icons flyout.
- Made a small refinement for tablet-optimized taskbar users to make it a bit easier to expand the taskbar without invoking the Start menu.
- Fixed an issue which could lead to the taskbar jump lists and preview thumbnails not appearing in the correct position for Insiders with 2-in-1 PCs.
- Improved the transition animation when switching between collapsed and expanded views of the tablet-optimized taskbar.
- The tablet-optimized taskbar should collapse more reliably now after launching an app from the Start menu.
- Fixed an explorer.exe crash when using Alt + F4 with the show hidden icons flyout in the system tray open.
- Updated the battery icon’s tooltip to let you know if your device is charging slowly.
- Fixed an issue causing the top half of the media controls in Quick Settings to be missing sometimes.
- Fixed a GDI handle leak in recent builds related to receiving certain types of notifications. This could cause UI issues or explorer.exe crashes for Insiders who receive a lot of notifications.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the NVIDIA icon in the system tray to show empty notifications.
- Fixed an issue causing search to not work in the previous flight for Insiders with Arm64 PCs.
- Fixed an issue where the sleep recommendation on the Energy Recommendations page and Battery & Power page were sometimes inconsistent.
- Task Manager colors in light and dark should display correctly now for people with their mode set to Custom.
Fixes for BOTH Build 22621.1028 & Build 22623.1028
- We fixed an issue that affected some games and applications. This issue was related to GPU performance debugging features. This lowered the expected game performance.
How to Get The New Update
To download the new update you need to be enrolled in the Beta Channel by joining the Windows Insider Program, you can do so from:
Windows Settings > Windows Update > Windows Insider Program > Get Started.
Once you do so you can then download update KB5021866 normally from the Windows Update screen by clicking Check for Updates button.